Becoming a Patient
at The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine
To become a patient at The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine, you need to get a consult requested by your physician, or you can contact us directly at 256-327-9640 to begin the intake process.
- INITIAL CONTACT – Potential patients can contact the clinic directly via phone by calling 256.327.9640.
- PRIVACY – Please see the Notice of Privacy Practices or the Spanish version of the Spanish Notice of Privacy Practices.
- RECORD REVIEW – Information and prior medical records will be reviewed by the clinic team prior to scheduling an appointment for a clinical evaluation.
- PATIENT ENROLLMENT – Potential patients will receive an electronic invitation to enroll in The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine’s Genome Gateway®. The Genome Gateway can be accessed through the “patient login” button at the top of this page.
- APPOINTMENT SCHEDULING – Upon receipt of the referring physician’s completed/signed SFC Consult Request Form, the referring physician’s last chart notes from the patient’s most recent appointment and completion of Genome Gateway the patient is then scheduled for an appointment at Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine.
- CLINIC VISIT – A first appointment date is set by The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine and patient. A typical visit to the clinic will include a review of medical, developmental, and family histories, physical examination, assessment by a medical geneticist and genomic counselor and discussion of testing options. If it is determined that a blood sample needs to be taken, that will be scheduled and the results will be analyzed and interpreted. You also will have a follow-up appointment with the clinic team and the results will be sent back to your referring physician.
- If you are visiting from out of state, here are lodging options for your stay: http://www.huntsville.org/hotels-lodging/