Step-by-step Guide for the Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine
- Initial Contact – Potential patients may be referred by their healthcare provider by faxing the Consult Request Form to 256.327.9699.
- Record Review – Medical records will be reviewed by the clinical team to determine whether an appointment at The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine is the most appropriate next step in a patient’s evaluation.
- Genome Gateway Enrollment – Potential patients will receive an electronic invitation to enroll in The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine’s Genome Gateway. Through this gateway, patients will provide consent for medical record release. The clinic will then contact your medical office to obtain the patient’s records.
- Notification of Appointment Status to Patients – Patients who are determined to be appropriate for evaluation in The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine will be contacted to schedule an appointment.
- Notification to Physician – Physicians will be contacted if their patient is accepted or not appropriate for an evaluation by The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine.
- Clinic Visit – A typical visit will include a review of medical, developmental, and family histories, physical examination, assessment by a medical geneticist and genetic counselor and discussion of testing options.