Step-by-step Guide for the Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine
- Initial Contact – Potential patients may be referred by their healthcare provider by faxing the Consult Request Form to 256.327.9699.
- Record Review – Medical records will be reviewed by the clinical team to determine whether an appointment at The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine is the most appropriate next step in a patient’s evaluation.
- Notification of Appointment Status to Patients – Patients who are determined to be appropriate for evaluation in The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine will be contacted to schedule an appointment.
- Notification to Physician – Physicians will be contacted if their patient is accepted or not appropriate for an evaluation by The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine.
- Clinic Visit – A typical visit will include a review of medical, developmental, and family histories, physical examination, assessment by a medical geneticist and genetic counselor and discussion of testing options.