Step-by-step Guide for the Clinic for Genomic Medicine
- Initial Contact – Potential patients may be referred by their healthcare provider via fax 256.327.9699 or electronic form (email to email@example.com).
- Genome Gateway Enrollment– Potential patients will receive an electronic invitation to enroll in The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine’s patient login for Genome Gateway. Through this gateway, patients will provide consent for medical record release; we will then contact your medical office to obtain the patient’s records.
- Record Review – Medical records will be reviewed by the clinical team to determine whether an appointment at The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine is the most appropriate next step in a patient’s evaluation.
- Notification of Appointment Status to Patients – Patients who are determined to be appropriate for evaluation in The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine will be contacted to schedule an appointment. If a clinic appointment is not determined to be the most appropriate next step in evaluation, a clinic staff member will contact the individual and provide an explanation.
- Notification to Physician–Physicians will be contacted if their patient is accepted or not appropriate for an evaluation by The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine.
- Clinic Visit – A typical visit to The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine will include a review of medical, developmental, and family histories, physical examination, assessment by a medical geneticist and genetic counselor and discussion of testing options. If genome sequencing or other testing is recommended, blood samples may be drawn at the time of the visit.