Some of the special features:
The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine is the first clinic in the world opened solely to practice genomic medicine. In the clinic, extra touches in design and function make patients and their families feel valued. We believe that even though their condition is undiagnosed and may not be common, it is important to find answers for them in a setting that is comfortable.
• Opportunities to practice video conferencing throughout the clinic allowing healthcare providers and family members who can’t come to our clinic to participate in the visit.
• Flooring is non-porous, antibacterial, both beautiful and functional
• Small play area with toys, movies
• Lactation room — Some of the families who come to the clinic with their sick child already have other small children. Provides privacy and a sense of welcome for everyone.
• Computer access: For patients who haven’t had the opportunity to use our online Genome Gateway or who found that the process is a little daunting, they can complete their registration at the clinic.
• Genome Gateway details: Families enter registration and medical history information into the online gateway before they arrive. They can watch educational videos about genomic testing and about the process they will walk through at the clinic.
• Extra-wide hallway would allow two large wheelchairs to pass abreast
• Area to discuss finances, provides privacy and confidentiality
• Height, weight, and head circumference measurements
• Wheelchair accessible scales
• Infant examination table is an infant scale with pull-out device to measure the baby
• Multiple chairs and a lot of space to accommodate family members, strollers, wheelchairs
Exam and Consult Rooms
• Video conferencing capacity
• Wooden furniture make the space visually warmer
• Large rooms can accommodate wheelchairs, strollers, multiple family members
• Can videotape the counseling to share with family members or physicians who couldn’t attend or for the family to review later to make sure they understood what the counselors shared with them
• Patients can view educational materials, access documents and complete questionnaires either on the iPad® before leaving the clinic or through our Genome Gateway once they return home.
• Each patient has an Electronic Health Record (EHR)
• Multi-use space that can seat a large number of people and furniture that can be arranged in a variety of formats.
• Large families can use the room for discussions and genetic counseling
• Space may also be used for teaching and training of healthcare providers and trainees.
• In person or via distance education
• A phlebotomist on site when needed so the patient won’t have to travel to the lab at the hospital — in the best interest of patient care
• May also serve as additional work space for students observing and training in the clinic
• Audio/visual equipment and server